The Energy Networks Association (ENA) have today published a report which considers the network and technology innovations required to support a decarbonised energy system and achieve the country’s Net Zero goals.
Developed in collaboration with Regen, the energy networks strategy was produced following both engagement with industry stakeholders and a public consultation, in which roughly 350 people gave the network operators present their views on the key principles to follow. The 6 areas highlighted were:
- Carbon impact – all innovation projects should have a positive impact on the country’s Net Zero target.
- Collaboration & stakeholder engagement – collaboration between network companies and the wider industry is essential.
- Consumer benefit – any projects benefit consumers financially.
- Data & knowledge sharing – sharing both knowledge and expertise in a transparent and accessible way.
- Implementation and deployment – delivering successful network innovation into business.
- Innovation culture – boosting innovation to encourage transformative change.
Dan Clarke, Head of Innovation at Energy Networks Association, which represents the UK and Ireland’s energy network companies, said:
“We’re excited to launch our first integrated whole systems Innovation Strategy and to bring our electricity and gas networks closer together to deliver the innovations needed to deliver Net Zero.
“We’ve worked extremely closely across a number of industries to deliver a roadmap for the next generation of innovation projects and consulted with hundreds of people from across the energy industry and beyond to deliver an energy networks strategy that is coordinated and focused on the key priorities facing our energy system, whilst delivering benefits for customers.”
Grace Millman, energy analyst at Regen, commented:
“Working with ENA on a single, joint electricity and gas network innovation strategy has been a great opportunity to ensure vital investment in network innovation is focused on accelerating the journey to net zero. Our aim has been to enable a wide range of organisations and communities to engage in energy network innovation by setting out clear strategic themes and information on how to get involved.”
The energy networks strategy can be read in full on the ENA’s website.